Manuel de Proverbes Dramatiques 1840 Henry Wadsworth Longfellow Editor French Book
Manuel de Proverbes Dramatiques, 1840 was edited by Professor Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Its first edition was published in 1830 in Portland, Maine. Longfellow then revised the text before this Troisieme Edition was published in Boston by Monroe et Compagnie in 1840.
Longfellow used this collection in classes he taught at Harvard College where he was a popular professor of Romance Languages. This copy shows the obvious handwritten translations that any college student of 175 years ago would understand.
For everyone interested in antiquarian books, Romance Languages, mid 19th century drama and literature and, of course, the "white" Mr. Longfellow, this 333 page anthology includes the following play dialogues:
- Le Poulet
- L'Ane dans le Potager
- La Diete
- Le Sourd
- La Rose Rouge
- Le Sot et les Fripons
- La Sonnette
- Le Sot Ami
- La Recommandation
- Le Persifleur
- Le Comedien Bourgeois
- L'Unifome de Campagne
- L'Amateur du Tragique
- Le Mari
As the photos show, this curious little antique book is in very sad shape. But in the right hands, it is an attractive treasure in a prized collection of Longfellow memorabilia.
Interesting for the Longfellow enthusiast are the numerous handwritten English translations from French of the play texts by some long ago student of Professor Longfellow.
The brown cloth cover, badly worn and stained, is completely detached from the spine; and the pages themselves show the discoloration and wear of almost 175 years of handling. In its favor, the interior binding is intact, with the pages fairly well attached; and the spine, while broken near the middle of the pages, is holding its own. A previous owner's name in written in ink on the flyleaf.
It measures approximately 7 3/8 inches by 4 7/8 inches and, including the cover, about 7/8 inch thick. It has 333 pages.
Although it is not in great condition, this is a rare find and a bibliophile's delight.
Because of it's fragile condition, this book ships via Priority Mail to US addresses.
Order Processing Estimates:
- Our in-stock items normally ship within 1 to 3 business days after we receive your order.
- Vintage items
- Commercial supplies
- Made to order items usually require 2 to 5 business days for us to create and prepare your purchase for shipping.
- Handmade home decor (copper dishes, wall hangings)
- Christmas ornaments and holiday decorations
- Handmade supplies
- If your order will take longer for us to process or create, we'll let you know in advance.
Unless otherwise noted, we ship via United States Postal Service.
- Orders to addresses in the USA ship via USPS first class or priority mail, depending upon the weight of the item and/or your chosen method.
- For shipping to other destinations, please inquire.