Repousse´ Art Nouveau Button Chased Brass & Silver Leaves
A Rare Find! A swirling vine pattern of graceful repousse´ leaves, this art nouveau style vintage button of two-tone chased metal features antiqued silver accents over brass in a highly embossed floral design.
Although there is no visible maker's mark or other discernible identification, we believe that this unusual piece was made no later than mid- 20th century, possibly early 1900s ( late Victorian / Edwardian era). To our eyes, it has the look of fin de siècle art and decorative items made in France.
While the extended leaf tips cause the slightly convex shape appear slightly elongated, it measures 1 1/8 inch long by 1 1/8 inch wide.
The cool antiqued silver accenting and contrasting with warmth of the brass gives the design an elegant mixed metal look.
The reverse reveals that it is composed of two almost identical crescents, soldered to overlap and forming two central openings which work as holes for needle and thread. The final assemblage appears to have been done by hand.
- Solid Brass
- Oxidized Silver
- A crafty and imaginative jewelry or accessory designer or home decorator will see many other possibilities for this hard-to-find and highly collectible treasure, perhaps converting or repurposing it to any of the following:
- Fashion Brooch or lapel pin
- Decorative Medallion
- Pendant for necklace
- Centerpiece or focal bead for bracelet
- Barette or hair clip
- Millinery / hat embellishment
- Bag or purse closure
- Replacement knob or pull for jewelry box, draw or cabinet door
- Fancy buckle, fastener or clasp
- Weight: 3 ounces