2 Plays by Clyde Fitch: Beau Brummel, The Climbers
2 Plays by Clyde Fitch (1865-1906)-- Beau Brummel (1890) and The Climbers (1901) show Fitch's tremendous popularity.
- Clyde Fitch was the first millionaire playwright in America.
- In 1901 four of his plays were in Broadway theaters at the same time.
- Combining comedy and melodrama, Fitch wrote or adapted 55 plays.
- Beau Brummel was written particularly for Richard Mansfield.
These copies of Beau Brummel (Samuel French Acting Edition) and The Climbers (1905 Little Brown & Co. uncut literary publication) are interesting as early play publications in American drama.
- Richard Mansfield (1854-1907) was a major Broadway Star at this time.
- Beau Brummel was first produced in NY on May 17, 1890; it had its 250th representation on January 30, 1891.
- This rather elaborate Samuel French Acting Edition of Beau Brummel indicates its success
The Climbers, 1901, includes these ridiculing lines on New York Society: "Oh, my dear, that's just it! The watchword of our age is self! We are all for ourselves; the twentieth century is to be a glorification of selfishness; the Era of Egotism. "
- The commercial edition by Little Brown of The Climbers is an uncut copy.
- The Climbers is a biting satire on New York society.
The condition of these two paperback books is only fair.
- Beau Brummel with well browned pages and losing its cover is well handled but still firm in binding. This copy prints only a copyright date of 1908 but has to be published sometime after 1914. It measures 5 inches by 7 1/2 inches by 3/8 inch and has 142 pages.
- The Climbers lacks its front cover, has ragged back cover and flyleaves and shows the uneven pages of a printed but uncut copy. It measures 5 1/2 inches by 7 1/2 inches by 3/4 inch and has uncut pages numbered 472 through 721.
Order Processing Estimates:
- Our in-stock items normally ship within 1 to 3 business days after we receive your order.
- Vintage items
- Commercial supplies
- Made to order items usually require 2 to 5 business days for us to create and prepare your purchase for shipping.
- Handmade home decor (copper dishes, wall hangings)
- Christmas ornaments and holiday decorations
- Handmade supplies
- If your order will take longer for us to process or create, we'll let you know in advance.
Unless otherwise noted, we ship via United States Postal Service.
- Orders to addresses in the USA ship via USPS first class or priority mail, depending upon the weight of the item and/or your chosen method.
- For shipping to other destinations, please inquire.