American Mercury Reader, 1944 Distinguished Selection of Articles, Stories, Poems
The American Mercury Reader, 1944, edited by Lawrence E . Spivak and Charles Angoff, is a selection of articles, stories, plays and poems published in the American Mercury from the mid 1920s to the early 1940s. There are a few illustrations.
These articles and stories deal with American social problems, ideas, Black and Native Americans through the Jazz Age and the Period of the Great Depression --essentially a history of America during the 1920s and 30s through its literature.
The authors included are some of the most distinguished writers of the period--Sinclair Lewis, James Weldon Johnson, H.L.Mencken, Charles A. Beard and Sherwood Anderson, to name the first five in the collection. Considering the reputation of The American Mercury, it is something of a treasury of the best thinkers and writers of the pre-World War II period.
Titles range from "Crazy Sunday" by F. Scott Fitzgerald to "American Marriage" by Mary Austin, the expert on American Indian life, and "The South Kills Another Negro" by William Bradford Huie.
The book is in good vintage condition--firm binding, a little browning of pages, noticeable wear on the book cover at the binding edges and the corners. No marks except the stamped name and address of a former owner. It measures 5 1/2 inches by 8 inches by 1 inch and has 378 pages.
Order Processing Estimates:
- Our in-stock items normally ship within 1 to 3 business days after we receive your order.
- Vintage items
- Commercial supplies
- Made to order items usually require 2 to 5 business days for us to create and prepare your purchase for shipping.
- Handmade home decor (copper dishes, wall hangings)
- Christmas ornaments and holiday decorations
- Handmade supplies
- If your order will take longer for us to process or create, we'll let you know in advance.
Unless otherwise noted, we ship via United States Postal Service.
- Orders to addresses in the USA ship via USPS first class or priority mail, depending upon the weight of the item and/or your chosen method.
- For shipping to other destinations, please inquire.