America's First Hamlet John Howard Payne, 1957 Grace Overmyer, First Edition
America's First Hamlet, 1957 by Grace Overmeyer is the biography of John Howard Payne, poet, actor, playwright, diplomat and author of Home Sweet Home sung by the heroine of Payne's play Clari, the Maid of Milan, as she returns to her home in the final scene.
An American who deserves more notoriety that he receives by historians, Payne had a successful career as an actor in London before becoming a successful playwright. Returning to America in the early 1830s, Payne was well received, made a name for himself as a humanitarian administrator in Indian affairs and was US Consul to Tunis when he died.
This book is in good condition, strong in its binding, no marks or tears but subject to browning as it ages. The colorful dust jacket shows ragged edges with small tears. The exterior of the book itself is clean with only slight wear at the binding. It measures 6 1/4 inches by 9 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches and has 439 pages.
Order Processing Estimates:
- Our in-stock items normally ship within 1 to 3 business days after we receive your order.
- Vintage items
- Commercial supplies
- Made to order items usually require 2 to 5 business days for us to create and prepare your purchase for shipping.
- Handmade home decor (copper dishes, wall hangings)
- Christmas ornaments and holiday decorations
- Handmade supplies
- If your order will take longer for us to process or create, we'll let you know in advance.
Unless otherwise noted, we ship via United States Postal Service.
- Orders to addresses in the USA ship via USPS first class or priority mail, depending upon the weight of the item and/or your chosen method.
- For shipping to other destinations, please inquire.