Classical Drama of the Orient, 1965 Henry W. Wells
Classical Drama of the Orient, 1965, by Henry Wells is a companion book to his Classical Drama of India. The present volume treats the drama of China, its concept of what westerners call tragedy (a term which is not part of the Chinese lexicon) and the values attached to comedy, character and extravaganza in the Chinese theater.
The second part of this volume concentrates on the unique qualities of the Japanese Noh, its conventions, its symbolism, poetry and magic.
A major scholar in the world of dramatic literature, Professor Henry W. Wells (1895-1978), Brander Matthews Professor of Dramatic Literature at Columbia University, carried on Prof. Matthews' tradition of serious consideration of worldwide drama.
This book is in very good condition. It carries only a person's small initials on the reverse of the front cover and a sleight weakness as you open to the title page. Otherwise, the binding is strong and firm, no marks (except for two underlines on page 29), no tears, a well kept book with a dust jacket that shows only very slight wearing at its top with foxing on the text.
The book measures 5 3/4 inches by 1 1/4 inches by 8 3/4 inches and has 348 pages.
Order Processing Estimates:
- Our in-stock items normally ship within 1 to 3 business days after we receive your order.
- Vintage items
- Commercial supplies
- Made to order items usually require 2 to 5 business days for us to create and prepare your purchase for shipping.
- Handmade home decor (copper dishes, wall hangings)
- Christmas ornaments and holiday decorations
- Handmade supplies
- If your order will take longer for us to process or create, we'll let you know in advance.
Unless otherwise noted, we ship via United States Postal Service.
- Orders to addresses in the USA ship via USPS first class or priority mail, depending upon the weight of the item and/or your chosen method.
- For shipping to other destinations, please inquire.