Collectible Antique Plate, Ironstone White Dinner Plate, Anthony Shaw, Opaque Porcelain Plate, Tea Leaf White Plate, 19th Century English
A Collectible Antique Plate, a white ironstone dinner plate marked "Anthony Shaw Opaque Porcelain," this Tea Leaf White Plate is 19th century English dinnerware, increasingly hard to find.
Manufactured at Burslem, one of the Six Towns of Stoke-on-Trent and known as the Mother Town of the North Staffordshire Potteries, this footed plate is 7-3/4" in diameter and about 1" deep. The 1/8" foot is about 4" across.
The Tea Leaf design, extremely popular in the late 1800s, graces the center. This motif is thought to have been originated by Anthony Shaw (1827/8-1900) and registered in 1856. It is metallic copper in color, matching the band around the border. During the 1840s, English potters began creating this type of tableware exclusively for export to the USA.
Along with the impression, in a circle around a four petal diamond, a figure 8 is impressed inside the foot, and the potter's original mark, done in the coppery luster, is beneath the glazing.
The pattern and design indicate that it dates between 1851 and 1882.
The plate is in very good antique condition, without chips, cracks or stains. It is shows very little of the "crazing" which often affects the glaze on dinnerware of its age. There are some light utensil marks in the center - the only indications that this plate was ever put to practical use, and there is a small imperfection or "bubble" in the border which appears to have occurred in the manufacture.
Today, this rare, collectible piece might be considered a luncheon dish or a shallow soup or dessert bowl.
Whether you display it on your wall, plate rail or tabletop stand, this lovely piece of English porcelain will make a striking addition to your home decor.
Continue shopping with Miranda Mercantile -> MirandaMercantile.etsy.com
Order Processing Estimates:
- Our in-stock items normally ship within 1 to 3 business days after we receive your order.
- Vintage items
- Commercial supplies
- Made to order items usually require 2 to 5 business days for us to create and prepare your purchase for shipping.
- Handmade home decor (copper dishes, wall hangings)
- Christmas ornaments and holiday decorations
- Handmade supplies
- If your order will take longer for us to process or create, we'll let you know in advance.
Unless otherwise noted, we ship via United States Postal Service.
- Orders to addresses in the USA ship via USPS first class or priority mail, depending upon the weight of the item and/or your chosen method.
- For shipping to other destinations, please inquire.