Fire Bringer, 1904 William Vaughn Moody
The Fire Bringer, 1904 by William Vaughn Moody, one of 150 Limited uncut First Edition, is a poetic religious drama featuring the Conflict between God and the People He created.
The play illustrates the effort of a significant American poet of the immediate Pre-World War I period to write for the contemporary theater. Essentially, Moody represents in America the revival of interest in poetic drama shown in England by William Poel and William Butler Yeats and on the continent by Rostand, Maeterlinck and Hauptmann. Truthfully, of course, as 19th century English and American Shelley, Tennyson, Longfellow and others have demonstrated, the interest never died.
Moody (1869-1910) , known more as a poet rather than a commercial playwright, was nevertheless successful in New York with The Great Divide (1906), a play in prose. As a humanitarian writer with universal themes on his mind, he tried to use his poetic skills on stage albeit with less success.
The Fire-Bringer was the second play in a trilogy based on the Bible dealing with the conflict between God and the creatures He created. The first was The Masque of Judgment (1900), and the third, The Death of Eve (1912), remained uncompleted.
This copy is one of the 150 copies described on the copyright page of the book as "One hundred and fifty copies of the First Edition Bound Entirely uncut, with paper label." The "paper label" shows in one picture. The book was in this uncut condition when I bought it sometime in the early 1960s. Unfortunately in some ways, I cut the uncut pages so that I might read the play--all except the early and final pages of the book, which did not impair my reading. Sorry!
With its cut and uncut pages, this book is in very good vintage condition. There is one mark identifying a long quotation preceding the text of the play. Otherwise, the text is clean, firm in its binding although browned on pages due to age.
The book measures 5 inches by 7 1/4 inches by 1/2 inch and has 107 pages.
This book ships First Class!
Order Processing Estimates:
- Our in-stock items normally ship within 1 to 3 business days after we receive your order.
- Vintage items
- Commercial supplies
- Made to order items usually require 2 to 5 business days for us to create and prepare your purchase for shipping.
- Handmade home decor (copper dishes, wall hangings)
- Christmas ornaments and holiday decorations
- Handmade supplies
- If your order will take longer for us to process or create, we'll let you know in advance.
Unless otherwise noted, we ship via United States Postal Service.
- Orders to addresses in the USA ship via USPS first class or priority mail, depending upon the weight of the item and/or your chosen method.
- For shipping to other destinations, please inquire.