First Modern Comedies 1959 Norman N. Holland
In First Modern Comedies, 1959, Norman H. Holland in 1959 provides an analysis of 11 dramas by Restoration playwrights George Etherege, William Wycherley and William Congreve in terms of plot, character and language.
Why, Holland asks, are these the first "modern" comedies?
To this presentation he provides (1) persuasive evidence that these plays should be called "the first modern comedies" and (2) adds instructive discussions of the 17th century milieu.
These plays are:
The Comical Revenge,
She Wou'd If She Cou'd,
Love in a Wood,
The gentleman Dancing-Master,
The Country Wife,
The Man of Mode,
The Old Batchelor,
Love for Love,
The Way of the World.
This paperback book is in good vintage condition. The binding is very firm, no marks or tears. There is some shelf wear but not much, and the pages are slightly browning with age. The book measures 5 inches by 7 3/4 inches by 3/4 inch and has 274 pages.
Order Processing Estimates:
- Our in-stock items normally ship within 1 to 3 business days after we receive your order.
- Vintage items
- Commercial supplies
- Made to order items usually require 2 to 5 business days for us to create and prepare your purchase for shipping.
- Handmade home decor (copper dishes, wall hangings)
- Christmas ornaments and holiday decorations
- Handmade supplies
- If your order will take longer for us to process or create, we'll let you know in advance.
Unless otherwise noted, we ship via United States Postal Service.
- Orders to addresses in the USA ship via USPS first class or priority mail, depending upon the weight of the item and/or your chosen method.
- For shipping to other destinations, please inquire.