Masterpieces of American Wit and Humor, 1922 Edited Thomas Masson
Masterpieces of American Wit and Humor Vol. IV, 1922 Edited by Thomas Masson contains 28 essays, stories and poems by a variety of 19th century writers, some familiar, some minor, all comic wrters. Among the writers are Oliver Wendell Holmes, Seba Smith, William Cullen Bryant, Louis May Alcott, "Artemus Ward" and William Dean Howells.
You will find some enjoyable stories that you never imagined.
Seba Smith, author of "My First Visit to Portland," wrote for the Portland, Maine Courier during the1820s and created a Yankee character named Major Jack Downing whom he dressed in the tall hat, stripped trousers and blue coat that we now associate with Uncle Sam.
The book is in only fair condition with obvious spotting damage to the spine of the red cover which shows some wear all over and with browning on the clean pages. The book is firmly bound and without marks or tears. The text is in fine condition with Mark Twain in the frontispiece photograph. There is a scrawled gifting on the flyleaf, four words.
The book measures 5 inches by 7 1/2 inches by 1 inch and has 186 pages.
This book ships First Class!
Order Processing Estimates:
- Our in-stock items normally ship within 1 to 3 business days after we receive your order.
- Vintage items
- Commercial supplies
- Made to order items usually require 2 to 5 business days for us to create and prepare your purchase for shipping.
- Handmade home decor (copper dishes, wall hangings)
- Christmas ornaments and holiday decorations
- Handmade supplies
- If your order will take longer for us to process or create, we'll let you know in advance.
Unless otherwise noted, we ship via United States Postal Service.
- Orders to addresses in the USA ship via USPS first class or priority mail, depending upon the weight of the item and/or your chosen method.
- For shipping to other destinations, please inquire.